Cosmetic Dentistry Makeovers with Porcelain Veneers
Dental veneers are a popular cosmetic treatment option to improve the aesthetic appearance of your teeth. Typically involving just a couple of short and relatively painless visits to our dental clinic, our highly experienced cosmetic dentists can rejuvenate the appearance of your teeth for a natural and beautiful smile.
Veneers are commonly used to fix teeth that are worn, chipped or broken, and can help protect the surface of damaged teeth. Dental veneers can also fix teeth that are misaligned or irregularly shaped, close gaps and can solve the problem of permanent discolouration and staining.
WHAT IS A PORCELAIN VENEER?
Porcelain veneers are durable, thin laminates of ceramic that are bonded to the tooth surface. Porcelain is ideal in cosmetic dentistry, as the optical properties closely resemble tooth enamel and provides excellent aesthetic results.
Teeth must be mostly healthy and free of decay and gum disease to ensure a great result. Veneers typically require a small amount of tooth enamel to be reduced for optimal adhesion and to prevent the restored tooth from looking and feeling unnatural and bulky. For teeth that are more compromised and require additional protection, porcelain crowns may offer a more reliable alternative in the long term.
KEY BENEFITS TO Porcelain Veneers MAY INCLUDE:
- Dramatic, yet natural cosmetic enhancement
- Minimal tooth preparation
- Permanent and durable
- Stain resistant
- At least 2 appointments
- Your cosmetic dentist will remove 0.5 to 0.75 mm of enamel from the tooth surface in order to make room for the porcelain laminate. A model or impression of your prepared tooth is made and sent to the dental laboratory, which will construct your porcelain veneer. The fabrication of the veneer takes approximately 2 weeks, a plastic temporary veneer is fitted, where possible or required for the interim period.
- On the second visit before bonding the veneer, your cosmetic dentist will examine the fit and colour, adjusting the veneer as needed to ensure a proper fit and natural aesthetics. Your tooth will be cleaned, polished and roughened to enable a strong bonding process.
- In certain cases, an additional follow up visit may be required for shade analysis or further aesthetic assessment and so as to ensure the veneering treatment has been successful.
How long are the appointments?
- The preparation appointment will last approximately 60 mins and the fitting appointment will usually last for 30-45 mins. However, this depends on the complexity of the case.
- 1/265 Burwood Highway, Burwood East, Victoria 3151