Single Tooth Replacement with Individual Dental Implants
Losing a tooth can be distressing, especially when it’s one of the prominent front teeth. A gappy smile may look cute on a child but an adult with a missing tooth doesn’t quite have the same appeal.
Apart from the appearance, replacing a missing or damaged tooth is important to your long-term dental health as a result of changes in the bite that may otherwise occur to compensate for the lost tooth. Fortunately, modern day dentistry offers several tooth replacement solutions in the treatment for missing teeth.
SINGLE TOOTH IMPLANT
The most reliable permanent replacement for a single missing tooth is often a dental implant with a ceramic crown. This treatment is aimed to look, feel and function just like a natural tooth. The additional benefit of an implant is that surrounding healthy teeth remain intact, it helps to preserve the jawbone and stabilize the bite.
Before & Afters
- Visit 1: Examination & X-Rays
- An Implant Dentist will perform a limited examination of your mouth, gums, teeth and jaw and take one or more x-rays to assess the amount of bone available specifically for implantation, and other variants, so as to determine the exact placement of the tooth implant. During this appointment, the dentist will advise you of your suitability for dental implant treatment and also discuss alternative treatment possibilities that may help improve appearance, function or overall dental health. We might need you to see one of our other dentists to ascertain the health of your other teeth or to further explore alternatives. Subsequently, a treatment and cost plan is prepared and given to you for consideration. Appointment Duration: 15-30 minutes
- Visit 2: Installing the Dental Implant
- Under local anesthetic or under sedation, your Implantologist will perform the surgery to insert the tooth implant in the jawbone under the gum. Once in place, a healing screw is inserted to cover the implant while it heals. You can expect to be able to work the day after having a single implant inserted, but we need to allow approximately 3 months for the implant to bond with the bone. During the healing process, a temporary solution may be provided, to reduce the impact on your function and appearance. In some cases it is possible to place an immediate temporary crown attached to the implant at the same surgical visit. Appointment Duration: 30-60 minutes
- Visit 3: Impressions and Final Aesthetics
- After the 3 months healing period and confirmation that the implant has successfully bonded with the bone, the temporary tooth or the healing screw is removed and an impression is taken to make the final crown that fits over the implant. At this stage your implantologist and his ceramics technician confirm the aesthetic needs to help ensure that the shape and color of your new tooth appears natural, is an exact fit and meets your expectations. In some cases an additional ‘try-in’ appointment may be required to fine-tune the final aesthetics. Appointment Duration: 30 minutes
- Visit 4:
- The final step is to permanently secure the new implant crown. We aim to restore function and aesthetics to make your new tooth look and feel like a natural tooth. Caring for the implant crown involves the same daily oral hygiene process as for natural teeth, including regular brushing and flossing. Appointment Duration: 30 minutes
- 1/265 Burwood Highway, Burwood East, Victoria 3151